Remember when you were young, and your parents, grandparents and teachers used to say, “An apple a day keeps the doctor away?” Having this mindset with all fruits in general is guaranteed to keep you in great shape! Fruits are full of nutrients that are vital for our bodies. Fruits such as bananas and prunes are high in potassium, which helps to maintain blood pressure. Oranges are rich in Vitamin C which helps with the group and repair of our body tissues which helps to heal wounds and cuts, and also keeps our teeth and gums healthy. Women should have about 1.5 to 2 cups of fruit each day, and men should have about 2 cups of fruit each day.
Here are some tips for incorporating fruit into your regular routine:
- Keep a bowl of fruit in the refrigerator for easy access.
- Buy fruits while they are in season for a less expensive deal.
- Fresh, frozen, canned, and dried fruits are the best options!
- Stay away from packaged fruits with added sugars.
- Canned fruit is better in 100% fruit juice or water, NOT syrup!
- Use fruits for desserts. Instead of a cake, how about a fruit salad or baked apples?
- Instead of snacking on candy or chips, pack some fruit instead.
If you’re ever in a rush or need some fruit for a quick snack between classes, you can find fresh fruit at Einstein Bros. Bagels, Larry’s Market, any of the P.O.D. locations, The Diner, Lawrence Dining Hall and the Ram’s Head Food Court!
Written by Christina Gantt, Peer Educator