Nine times out of ten I can describe myself as a walking ball of stress. Between schoolwork, extra curricular activities, work, and attempting a social life being a college student can get really tough. Being stressed out is not the end of the world. There are many steps that you can take to manage your stress and keep it under control.
- Stay active! While this includes going to the gym you can also try going for a walk, riding your bike, or even taking your dog for a walk.
- Adopt a healthy diet. Start your day with breakfast and work on eating nutritious meals to nourish your body and mind.
- Make sure you’re getting enough sleep.
- Engage socially. Try to confide in someone and make sure to take time away from your stressors.
- Work on time management. Compose a schedule and try to stick to a routine.
- Avoid using things like drinking alcohol or smoking to manage your stress.
- Minimize procrastination and avoiding work by watching TV or going on the computer.
Overall I believe it is important to look at how far you’ve come. Being a college student will never be easy and no one will blame you for feeling like you can’t do it, but you can. With the right mind set, support system, and rocking attitude anything is possible. I hope the next time stress begins to get you down you pause and think about what you can do to help the situation instead of giving up.
Written by Kim Brosius, Peer Educator