Other than your car insurance and registration information, there are a few things you should always have in your car for safety purposes. You can buy packaged emergency safety kits through AAA, but making your own is more personalized and can save you some money! Here are some suggestions to get you started:
2. Ice scraper. This is a necessity during those cold, icy winter months. Driving with ice on your windshield can decrease visibility and can be very dangerous for other cars on the road. Don’t have an ice scraper? You can use an old gift card.
3. Blanket or extra warm clothes. If you need to wait for a tow truck or for help to arrive during the winter months, keep a spare coat, hat, scarf, or blankets in your car to stay warm.
4. Water bottles and granola bars. These basic necessities will come in handy if you want a snack on a long drive, or if you are in a situation where you do not have access to food.
5. Phone car charger. Cell phones are our life lines, so chargers are crucial.
7. First aid kit. These kits are good to have in case of injury during a small accident or if you need a Band-Aid for your annoying paper cut!
8. Flashlight. Because who isn’t afraid of the dark? If you had to change a tire at night this item would be absolutely necessary.
10. Printed directions or map. Relying on your phone for direction isn’t always a good idea. Have these items for back up!
Written by Rachel Kile, Peer Educator