Spring is here, so it is time to get outside and enjoy the great outdoors!
What are the benefits of outdoor physical activity?
Physical activity is great no matter where you get it, but being active outside gives your body some additional benefits. Being out in the fresh air helps purify your blood and gets it pumping. Also, being in the sun helps your body to produce vitamin D. Vitamin D is essential because it helps regulate your blood pressure and reduces stress. Just make sure you apply sunscreen before being out in the sun for long periods of time.
What can you do to be active outside around campus?
Some of the many things you can do to be active are:
• Play some sports with your friends
• Go for a hike
• Take a walk around campus
• Go for a bike ride
• Visit a one of the parks around West Chester
• Go for a walk/run through town
• Play Volleyball at the court by the Rec Center
Where are some places I can be active around West Chester?
There are many places you can go to be active outdoors around campus. Some of them are:
• The trails through the Gordon Natural Area located on South Campus by all of the fields
• The outdoor basketball courts and fields on campus
• The parks within walking distances near campus
o Bayard Rustin Park on Rosedale Ave (by Swope Music Building)
o Everheart Park on the 500 block of Union Street
Grab a friend and head outside for some healthy and fun physical activity!
Written by Andrew Ramirez, Peer Educator