What do you see when you look in the mirror?
BODY IMAGE. It’s how we view ourselves when we look in the mirror, and what we believe about our looks; however, it is not how we are viewed by others. If you were to explain your face to a sketch artist, then allow strangers to explain your face to that same artist, how would the two portraits turn out? Watch Dove Real Beauty Sketches to see how these women see themselves, you may be surprised!
“To love oneself is the beginning of a lifelong romance.” –Oscar Wilde
In a world that narrowly defines beauty, it’s time to put a stop to negative body images; after all you are unique and 100% BEAUTIFUL!
Here are some easy ways to improve your body image:
- Accept your body as the way it is! (You are unique and perfect the way you are!)
- Embrace every opportunity to do what you love, and don’t miss out on anything because you feel self-conscious about what you think about your body or what others think.
- Remind yourself every day of something you love about your inner self, not focusing on the outer one. (Go even further and write down a full list of characteristics that you adore about yourself and hang it up somewhere that you can read it daily!)
- Surround yourself with good people who can reflect back and remind you of your positive body image (do you really want to hang out with someone who brings you down anyway?)
- Be kind to others. Don’t judge people for their physical characteristics (weight, shape, size).
- Appreciate all that your body does for you; health and wellness are typically taken for granted until illness comes.
Love yourself; it’s good for your health.
Remember, there are many ways to create a positive body image and you may be surprised to find just how easy it is to alter what you see about yourself and the world around you. Even when you do from a positive view, it never hurts to remind yourself what you love about you.
Written by Jordan Buckley, Peer Educator