If you’ve been waiting to get tested, the time is now! WCU’s 3rd Annual Get Yourself Tested Day is coming up quickly! GYT is Thursday, February 14th from 10:00 -2:00 in Sykes Ballrooms. Here are some things to know about GYT:
- It’s FREE Chlamydia and gonorrhea testing!
- You don’t need an appointment!
- It’s painless; all you have to do is pee in a cup!
- You will get a call from a Health Center Nurse in 2-3 weeks if your results are positive, if you don’t hear anything then your test came back negative!
- The first 200 people get a FREE t-shirt!
What you need to know about gonorrhea and Chlamydia:
- Gonorrhea and Chlamydia are bacterial infections.
- Both are transmitted through unprotected vaginal, anal, or oral sex.
- Both of these STI’s mostly show no symptoms in most women and men who have it.
- Treatment is easy! Antibiotics cure the infection, which are free at the Health Center, you just have to pay the $10 visit fee!
- If left untreated you can spread them to your partner(s) and women can develop pelvic inflammatory disease (PID) which can lead to infertility and tubal (ectopic) pregnancy.
It only takes a few minutes, so before or after class, work, or lunch stop by Sykes and see what GYT is all about!
Written by Julia Kane, Peer Educator