Spring Break is just 2 days away! Before you throw down your pencil and rush out the door, take a minute to go through our checklist to keep your apartment or dorm room safe and secure.
Before leaving remember to:
- Lock all doors and windows.
- Turn off all your lights. Considering making a trip to the hardware store to buy a timer for your lights. This will turn them on and off at specific times, throwing off potential criminals!
- Unplug all appliances in your apartment or dorm.
- If you are expecting packages, have them re-routed to your home address
- Lock up all the valuables that are not coming with you.
- Remove all perishable food from the refrigerator.
- Take out all the trash. Consider arranging for a neighbor to put it out on trash day.
- If you know and trust your neighbors, let them know you will be gone for the week. Give them your contact information so they can alert you of any suspicious behaviors.
Now that you’ve taken care of all these things, you can relax in comfort knowing your home away from home is safe and secure!
Written by Jen Ryan, Peer Educator.